I'm wondering if a module exists to check an email address in real time.
I would use the module in a web page signup for a mailing list. After
the user submitted her email address, she'd see a page asking her to
wait for up to two minutes. During this time, the module could check if
the host name resolved, and hopefully ascertain if the username was
valid, possibly by initiating a dialog with the destination's SMTP and
getting an OK of the username. Other errors might show up here, too,
such as "user mailbox full." Definite failures would go back to the user
immediately. Host or SMTP timeouts would go back to the user as a
warning.

I've found Email::Valid, but haven't unpacked it yet. It seems to do
some of this (proper email form and MX record exists for host). Any
module to do the check of the user at their host?

Which modules would you recommend to build up this functionality?

Please let me know if doing something like this, i.e., starting an SMTP
dialog with a mailhost, then dropping it after it verified that the user
was okay, would disrupt systems or otherwise cause havoc.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139