On Tuesday, April 2, 2002, at 04:00 , Orlando Andico wrote:

> I detest having
> mysterious functions lurking around in my code (e.g. POSIX::ceil instead
> of just ceil, Date::Parse::str2time instead of just &str2time)

Ok, I'll be silly and ask the Orthodoxy question here....

Why? What has your experience been that takes you this way?

A part of why I ask is that at times I totally agree with you,
since at times I would prefer that I have

        use FOO::BAR ;

        $fb = new FOO::BAR ;
        #
        # now all their methods are hidden as $fb->method(argStream);

or
        %Big_Hash_of_Stuff = &Foo::BAR::grovel_big_file($file_name);

        # if i want to be procedural - but don't want to import it all.

but I got BIT in the sitzenPlatzen when trying to figure out
what the other person was doing with

        $var_name = &Out::send_page($page);

till i found that in their FOO::BAR they had stuffed about half
way down the module

        package Out;

and had all of their 'outting stuff'.

Likewise there is something totally kosher about

        use FOO::BAR qw/foo_funk bar_grovellor/;

to assert which subs one's you are taking... or

        use FOO::BAR qw/:baz :barbara/;

which collection of subs you are taking....

Which keeps driving back to the 'naming standards'....

ciao
drieux

---