On Wed, 2002-04-03 at 16:09, Nikola Janceski wrote:
> I just found out that Perl 6 is going to be mainly OO (object oriented for
> you beginners).
> Can someone give me a direct URL of where I can find what is really going to
> happen? I do lots of Perl programming and I really want to determine if this
> is going to be a good thing, or bad.
>
> I really don't mean to take time away from you folks (ie. Japhy, Jenda,
> etc.).
>

> Nikola Janceski
>
> Clever talk and a pretentious manner are seldom found in the Good.
> -- Confucius

> --------------------
> The views and opinions expressed in this email message are the sender's
> own, and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Summit
> Systems Inc.

First let me clear up some confusion: Perl 6 will still be Perl.  You
will be able to do everything you used to be able to do in Perl 5 with
some small caveats: variable sigils ($@%) are now constant (ie you say
@array[2] instead of $array[2]), the concatenation  operator is changing
from '.' to ' - ' (note the whitespace), the member of operator '->' is
changing to '.', and various other small things.  Also note that there
WILL be a Perl5->Perl6 converter.

perl.com has several good articles on Perl 6 under the names Apocalypse
N and Exegesis N.  Apocalypse N articles are written by Larry Wall (the
creator of Perl) and cover new features and changes being made to old
features.  Exegesis N articles are written by Damian Conway (noted Perl
expert and community slave) and cover practical uses of the features
covered in the Apocalypse where Ns are the same (example: Apocalypse 1
and Exegesis 1 cover the same material).

I am currently reading Exegesis 4 and am horrified and excited.

--
Today is Pungenday the 20th day of Discord in the YOLD 3168
All Hail Discordia!

Missile Address: 33:48:3.521N  84:23:34.786W