On Mon, 08 Apr 2002 11:00:54 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tor Hildrum) wrote:

>On 8/4/02 9:15, "Tor Hildrum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Here are some of the error messages I get:
>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at script.cgi line 55.
>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at script.cgi line 55.
>> Can't open : No such file or directory
>
>Full source for the script can be located at:
>http://tortest.nuug.no/perl.txt
>
>The script dies on this line:
>open (REGISTRER, ">>$registrerte") or die();  ## $registrerte null-value
>
>I don't understand why it is, because I have defined it at the start of my
>script with my $registrerte = "";
>I thought that made it global?
>And, it is defined in the sub registrer().
>I have also tried setting it inside the sub without luck.
>
>Any advice would be much appreciated.
>I have re-read chapter 8 of Learning Perl, but I'm not getting any wiser.

It's hard to say what the problem is, your multiple posts are kindof confusing.
I tried to run your nuugmedlum.cgi, but of course I don't have the
files you are trying to open. When I substitute a text file to open,
the cgi program seems to run OK from the commandline.
What happens when you run the program from the commandline,
enter your name=value pairs, 1 pair per line, then hit control-d.
Turn on warnings too.

One thing to look at if your opens are failing is if you have "rights"
to do it.  Most of the time, a web server is running as "nobody:nogroup";
not you.  So you have to make sure the directory you are opening
a file in is mode 777.

Since you are learning, this would be a good time to learn how to
use ptkdb, the perl-tk debugger. You will be able to step thru the program
and see what is happening to each variable as you move from 1 sub
to another.