On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 04:30 , Kris G Findlay wrote:

> i'm writing a script that takes data submited by a form and adds it to a
> mysql database
> but i would like to be able to preview the data as it is to be displayed
> before final submission to database. i have tried using hidden form
> fields within a prieview page
> but have a problem of these fields breacking when a " is included within
> the data

I ran into that as well.... What I had to do was write around it

#----------------------
# a simple step forward to allow for "Andy R" expressions
# a bit of overkill and all...

sub dtk_retArray {

         my ($string) = @_;
         my @list;

         if ( $string =~ /".*"/ ) {
                 my $tmp = $string;
                 while ( $tmp ) {
                         if ( $tmp =~ s/^"([\w\s]*)"\s*(.*)/$1 $2/) {
                                 $tmp = $2;
                                 push(@list, $1);
                         } elsif ($tmp =~ s/(\w*)\s*(.*)/$1 $2/) {
                                 $tmp = $2;
                                 push(@list, $1);

         } else {
          @list = split(' ', $string);
         }

         @list;

} # end of dtk_retArray

I called that to check how a given textField had been set and
whether or not it had " marks " - the twisted part was noticing
that the way I had written the inner perl stuff meant that I
could write 'perl syntax' pattern matching

eg: search for "Andy R" or Andy\s*R ....

ciao
drieux

---