On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 07:55 , Jenda Krynicky wrote:

> No it will not.

just figured that out....
[..]
> This is the safest method:
>
>       use HTML::Entities;
>       $hiddenField = encode_entities(param('hiddenField'));
>
>       $html = qq{<input type=hidden name=something
> value="$hiddenfield">};
>
> Jenda

I think I also support Nikola Janceski in that the problem
really needs to be done using CGI.pm - vice trying to hand
craft the lines......

since his illustration generated:

<input type="hidden" name="crap" value="here is a quote  &quot;this Quote&
quot;." /><input type="submit" name=".submit" />

I'm a bit concerned about:

<input type="hidden" name="crap" value="here is a quote  &amp;quot;this
Quote&amp;quot;." />

which is what comes out of

        #!perl
        use strict;
        use warnings;
        use CGI qw(:standard);
        use HTML::Entities

        print header();

         my $crap = 'here is a quote  "this Quote".';

                my  $hiddenField = encode_entities($crap);
         print hidden(-name =>'crap',
                         -value => $hiddenField);

so there appears to be a double evaluation that would occur going
this way - vice a straight shot of how yours went:

<input type=hidden name=something value="here is a quote  &quot;this Quote&
quot;.">

ciao
drieux

---