    Robert> Some CPAN modules/tarfiles have filenames that have two
    Robert> colons in them, e.g. foo::bar.  While this works fine under
    Robert> Unix/Linux, Windows complains.  I believe MacOS 9 would balk
    Robert> about this, too.  Not sure about darwin/MacOS X.

No, that's not true.  Hierarchies are represented by directories on the
CPAN - for example, for the Some::Module module, the hierarchy might be:

Some-Module-0.01.tar.gz:
Some/
Some/Module.pm

It's certainly the case with my CPAN modules, and any others that I've
seen.  For example, in my /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.7.2/ directory:

lexis:chris~ % cd /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.7.2/
Attribute/     Exporter/      List/          Search/
B/             ExtUtils/      Locale/        Switch/
CGI/           File/          Math/          Term/
CPAN/          Filter/        Memoize/       Test/
Carp/          Getopt/        NEXT/          Text/
Class/         I18N/          Net/           Tie/
Devel/         IO/            Pod/           Time/
Encode/        IPC/           Scalar/        User/

Each of these directories would contain the modules under that
namespace; for example, in Text/:

lexis:chris...perl5/5.7.2/Text % ls
Abbrev.pm       Balanced.pod    Soundex.pm      Wrap.pm
Balanced.pm     ParseWords.pm   Tabs.pm

Hope this helps.

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net"; Chris Ball | chris@void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a
As to luck, there's the old miners' proverb: Gold is where you find it.