> I should have been more specific or maybe I have missed the point again :(
> the file is UTF-8 encoded which is fine for what I want.
>
> However, I need to get at bullet points within the text. these apear as the
> entity â~@¢ in vi.

Have you got the hex code for that one?  I presume this is the only
character causing difficulty - hence we really want to avoid turning
the whole string into hex numbers - which are harder to process.

> So I thought if could the hex value it would able to deal with any
> regexification in that form and the go back to text.

Okay, here is my slightly modified strategy if you are just wanting
to parse the file:

my $bullet = qr/\x00/; # qr = quoted regex

then you can say:

my ($extracted = $line) =~ /${bullet}(.*)$/;

to extract the text between that character, and the end of the line.

Alternatively, use the "tr" function to map the bullet to something
better:

tr/\x000/\x000/; # Put in the right hex codes

Either way, you need to know what the hex code for the bullet is.

> Does the solution you suggest still apply?

If as understood, then definately!

Jonathan Paton