From: Ron Goral
To: Perl Beginners
Sent: 4/24/02 7:17 AM
Subject: RE: Improving the Quality of Our Beginners was Re: Write
permissions and other rights

I have only recently started using Perl and the *NIX environment.  I am
grounded in C++ using MFC in a Windows NT environment.  Up until a few
weeks
ago, the idea of having to set file permissions in order to execute a
bit 'o
code was foreign to me as well.  In fact, there are many aspects of Perl
coding (whether for cgi or whatever) that just do not strike me in a
"natural" way.  I have not been raised on *NIX, therefore I don't know
how
*NIX operates.

Yes, I can read the perldocs and the manpages, but, incredibly, these
are
written with the notion that I have a half a clue about how to interpret
what "chmod" means.  And yes, yes, yes, reading more and more documents
means that eventually, you will come to understand a word or two here or
there.  However, the plain and simple fact is that until there is a
document
written that assumes the reader knows NOTHING AT ALL about the *NIX
environment or what an "awk" is (yes, I finally know that awk is a shell
language), there is an incredible need for a forum where a potential
coder
can come ask the obvious.  Since this list is called "Beginners" and not
"Intermediate" or "Have half a clue", this is as good a place as any to
ask
those kind of questions.  If it bothers you to see those kind of
questions,
then move up the food chain and find a more advanced list.  If it
bothers
you to answer those questions, then don't!!!

Notice the word "potential" above.  That is important.  Most of us
reading
and writing to this list are beginners.  We are therefore "potential"
coders.  If the Perl community is such that it will flame a FNG for
asking a
question, then I'd rather spend my time learning VB.  I can certainly
make
more money and there is a very good IDE for it.

Besides, we all know the adage, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for
the
day.  Teach him to fish and you feed him for life."  They always leave
off
the part that says "But, smack him upside the head for asking a "stupid"
question and the world will loose a potential fisherman.  And you will
gain
a potential enemy."

Well, I've said more than enough and I have better things to do.
"Kudos" to
drieux and those like him who know better than most of us here and take
the
time to explain how and why.

BTB drieux, I was one of those "90 day wonders" who was lucky enough to
have
had excellent NCOs to teach me what life was really like.  I should
write a
book entitled "All I Really Needed To Know I Learned From My Platoon
Sergeant".

Peace In Christ -
Ron Goral