I am going to try to answer this one, (I think I understand it):

use strict;

package Foo;
my $var1;
our $var2;

package Bar;

$Foo::var1; # this how you call var1 from package Foo;
$var2; # this how you call var2 (our makes it global across packages [and
modules?]) [our == use vars qw()]

__END__

so yes you must initialize any global vars.

Any corrections? (I am not that great, I know I probably made a mistake).