On Wednesday, May 15, 2002, at 08:57 , Alan Drew wrote:
[..]
>> oh dear - you are chasing a phantom.....
>>
>> http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~pvhp/ptk/qna2.html
>
> This link does not really help the matter:
>> Lastly, it should be mentioned that if you build your perl/Tk statically
>> rather than dynamically it will make a new perl interpreter called
>> tkperl (confusing isn't it? :-).
> It doesn't tell me how to actually make the tkperl interpreter.

sorry - the name 'tkperl' as far as I 'get it' really no longer
exists as a stand alone application - that you really will want
to chase down - assuming that you are not trying to do the

        mix and match perl/TK and Tcl/TK where you have
                Tcl::Tk to call out TK tricks using both
                perl and Tcl concurrently

[..]

Good to know you feel at home with the old make gags,
many of 'the younger crowd' are still new to the silly
problems that come from trying to make non-existent targets.

>> so the question is what happens when you do the make test side...
>
> Then it tests the Tk modules - i.e you get 100's of tk windows appearing
> and disappearing:
>
> All tests successful.
> Files=25, Tests=904, 50 wallclock secs (17.27 cusr +  2.10 csys = 19.37
> CPU)
>
> A "make install" then installs the compiled modules to the relevent
> directory. BUT - how do you build tkperl?
> A.

ok, let us step back and ask a few questions:

        a) how did you build your perl?

        b) how did you build your perl/Tk ?

I think you will find that you can start a few test codings of the form

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        use strict;
        use Tk;

and that they will do what you are expecting of them, and that
you do not need to go out and find a tkperl.

while google searching I found:

http://www.rosat.mpe-garching.mpg.de/mailing-
lists/ptk/1997-06/msg00062.html

and it is not clear to me why one would wish to go back to say

        perl 5.003_93

or TK400.202 for that matter....

hence when You get to say:

        http://www.sunset-cliffs.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/tkperl-
examples/tk_colormenu.pl?rev=1.1.1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

that uRL may need to be hand lifted into a webBrowser,
you will note that they are doing that without the need
of any special utility tkperl...

ciao
drieux

---