> the sole purpose for me using perl is to:
> 1) manipulate ascii files with data in .....
> 2) a front end (I.e Tk) to some analysis software we have - ...
> 3) a bit of fun

I feel morally compelled to point out to any of the
real Newbies who are on the beginner's mailing list
that this READS like the usual form of 'deep denial'
that needs to come out in the light of day.

Oh sure - today its a little text file manipulation,
a bit of CGI work with webFoo, a little DBI interface,
whack a GUI front end onto some dog piece of software,
you can Kick the Habit Any Time You Want. Or at least
that is what you tell your friends.

It's really only a small piece of bridge code, and you
can just make a little perl module to simplify the interface
between the various common applications, nothing serious...

Oh but if I just subclass FOO::BAR that you found at
[TheCPAN|SourceForge|someCoolWebSite|ThisGuyYouMetInSomeDarkBackAlley]
then of course I can adapt it to fix this other bit...

I merely wanted to have some better monitoring code for
our system wide solution - and I merely downloaded from

        http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/

and all I have to do is just rework a few bits here and there.
I mean that way I can monitor the systems more efficiently so
that I can spend more time coding this cool little extension
to this perl module....

But if I adopt the p5ee standards, then I have a common
technology that will interoperate between my webFront End
and my Database Services on Legacy Architectures, including
those older OS's where java has not been ported to yet...

People REALLY NEED to be forewarned about the dangers!

Do you find yourself seeking work where perl is readily available?

Do you find yourself spending more of your time with other
        people who Perl than with normal people?

Do you notice that you are going without the essentials
        food, water, shelter, simply so that you can perl?

Have you ever found yourself waking up in strange places, in
        clothes you clearly haven't changed in days, with no memory
        of how you got there, in a littered heap of perl code printouts?

People REALLY should think about these things before deciding
if they really want to even know perl.

ciao
drieux

---