On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 12:01, drieux wrote:

> On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 07:59 , Scot Needy wrote:
>
> > I turned on debug in perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm
> > $dl_debug = 1;
> >
> > Turns out it WAS scanning /path/to/modules/SunOS/5.6
> > Just not /path/to/modules/SunOS/5.6/$arch/auto
> >
> > I moved /path/to/modules/SunOS/5.6/$arch/auto
> > to  /path/to/modules/SunOS/5.6/auto and everything now works!
>
> my complements!!! [1]
Thanks !

> now the concern that worries me is the issues that can
> arise from running modules that are built with autoloading
> variations over the NFS mounting....
>
> { we're talking about the *.al files here - check
> out the whole POSIX::*}
>
> my premise here is that you are planning to run the
> Solaris::Kstat for some form of system monitoring suite
> of tools { they tend to come out as suites, even though
> we all start with the hope of a 'one size will fit all'. }
>
> I've never tried to test this concern - since I always
> simply demanded that the perl and the modules be local
> to the machine - a feature that shows up in solaris 8
> where they take Perl Seriously - as a legitimate tool.
>
> Hence I am not at all sure what impact will occur -
> when the NFS mount goes 'flakey' - and you are trying
> to deal with that issue - but this is the first time
> that you grabbed for the foo.al - hence, my expectation
> that your perl code will bollock up unable to get the
> file that it needs to run the test to find the bollock
> that has occurred....

Everything including runnig code locks up and continues when
NFS is restored but it will only lock up if an IO call is made.
Read,write,stat etc... Everything else is already in memory.

> If anyone with more experience in this area can be
> of assistance - i would be greatly pleased to hear.
>
> Am I 'misreading' the documentation about autoloaded
> portions of the code???
>
> { is this the part where we note that DynaLoader itself
> is 'exposed' and that Text::ParseWords as well as GetOpt::Long,
> hence one is limiting the 'host local' coding options that
> you might wish to have for dealing with checking this host
> for a given problem if the NFS mount is a part of the problem? }

Um not sure I understand that one. I am by every definition a beginner
in this perl language thing :) Reading Learning Perl now to understand
how to leverage this treed hash that Kstat has.

But I confess....

 The modules directory is local but mirrored to every system using
Tivoli. My Master needs to have source for NT, Solaris, Linux and OSF. I
already know that my destination host is of type Solaris but It would
take a little more work to figure out rev so I just push Solaris
Modules. Until now there hasn't been a need to split them up.

Scot