Perl 5.6.0
OS: NetBSD 1.5.2 (and Solaris 7)

I've got a program that regularly sends mail to people, however once in a
while I get a report from someone stating that they missed a piece of
mail. It's not all the time or I would have a major problem on my hands.
I'm using the following construct:

# &ErrorMsg includes an exit()
open(F_MAIL, "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -t") || &ErrorMsg("Cannot open mail");
print F_MAIL "To: $user->{'Name'} <$user->{'Email'}>\n";
print F_MAIL "From: $admin->{'Name'} <$admin->{'Email'}\n";
print F_MAIL "Subject: Message Updated\n";
print F_MAIL "\n";
print F_MAIL $msg->{'Text'};
print F_MAIL "\n";
close(F_MAIL);

I have a wrapper around all of this to redirect STDERR and STDOUT to a log
file in the event of things like "no such user". That part seems to be
working fine, but I need to increase the robustness a little more if
possible.

I would like to know if sendmail spits back an error or exit status other
than 0. Can eval() be of any help here or is there another way I can use
sendmail to the achieve the same result and return an error code (please
don't suggest a system() call.)

Thanks

--Chuck