On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 07:17 , Chuck Tomasi wrote:
[..]
> I've got a program that regularly sends mail to people, however once in a
> while I get a report from someone stating that they missed a piece of
> mail.

you may wish to check if there is a user::Headspace upgrade
you can install in these folks.... sometimes they do bad things...

[..]

> # &ErrorMsg includes an exit()
> open(F_MAIL, "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -t") || &ErrorMsg("Cannot open mail");
> print F_MAIL "To: $user->{'Name'} <$user->{'Email'}>\n";
> print F_MAIL "From: $admin->{'Name'} <$admin->{'Email'}\n";
> print F_MAIL "Subject: Message Updated\n";
> print F_MAIL "\n";
> print F_MAIL $msg->{'Text'};
> print F_MAIL "\n";
> close(F_MAIL);
[..]

you may wish to check out:

        http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=MailTools

as a way to break out of the traditional 'popen()' approach
of calling out 'sendmail' directly.... Since this way would
move you into getting a bit closer to the Net::SMTP side of
the game - where you can make sure that you and the smtp server
are in agreement about how things should be done....

If you are HyperAngstLaden - you could retreat to Net::CMD
and do more of the leg work yourself - and know with a
higher degree of certainty that you and the smtp server
are actually all warm and fuzzy about yourside of the game.

the problem then comes back to -

        if the bad user does bad things with their MUA
        then
                you have little recourse
                unless(bcc'd all mail to self);

Since having the data queued in mailboxes for users to pick up
doesn't protect you from the user who highlighted and purged
multiple email from their MUA - including the one that they
are now saying they never got....

at which point you have to deal with a big ugly email mailbox
of defensive email clutter - which is reasonably managed with
the MailTools suite - and can be filtered and managed - including,
if you are up to the game - writing the DBI stuff that would be
able to inventory these bcc's for safety sake.... but that way
leads to the data retention problem of when to purge your DB
of safety emails.... since clearly the day that you purge an
entry - will be the day that some user whines that they never
got email foo from bar about baz - and you can not check your
DB of what got sent when to whom.....

ciao
drieux

---