Hello David,

Wednesday, June 5, 2002, 12:30:46 AM, you wrote:

>> Adam --

>> %
>> % /(<.*>)/i;

>> This (the // part) searches $_ ('cuz it's that with which we expect we're
>> working) for a < and then zero or more of anything and then a > and it

Searches, does not sound like much of a concept. You see, in this
tutorial, you are shown commands up to this point, as well as anything
of programming I know, you learn commands, and type them one by one,
and computer runs them, just simple steps. But a pile of punctuation
symbolxs!  This tutorial just showed you this right away, and before
then was all commands, no sense of it for me.

>> It's very trivial, though somewhat less so than that good old favorite

>>   print "hello, world!\n";

Page 4, vs. page 17.

>> which has been convoluted terribly along the way, and you could stick
>> these commands into a file and then run

>>   perl /tmp/p

>> against it or such; the commands need to be fed through the perl
>> interpreter.  Of course, it's wisest to turn on strict checking
>> ("use strict;") and warnings ("perl -w" or, as you prefer, something like
>> "use warnings" on which I'm unsure) and most useful to write code that
>> actually does something, but who says every script has to pull its own
>> weight? :-)

Sure. Anything no more than a dozen lines would do fine.