Adam, et al --

...and then Adam Vardy said...
%
% Hello David,

Hi!

%
% Wednesday, June 5, 2002, 12:30:46 AM, you wrote:
%
% >> %
% >> % /(<.*>)/i;
%
% >> This (the // part) searches $_ ('cuz it's that with which we expect we're
% >> working) for a < and then zero or more of anything and then a > and it
%
% Searches, does not sound like much of a concept. You see, in this

Actually it's quite useful to search on a string.  In this case, you're
even saving the part that matches (because of the () inside the //) so
that you can use just that substring later.

% tutorial, you are shown commands up to this point, as well as anything

Heh.  As Bob said, perhaps you need a new tutorial!

% of programming I know, you learn commands, and type them one by one,
% and computer runs them, just simple steps. But a pile of punctuation
% symbolxs!  This tutorial just showed you this right away, and before
% then was all commands, no sense of it for me.

Yeah.  Not the gentlest, it seems.

There are *lots* of ways to make code hard to read and understand, and I
suppose the same goes for that which is intended to teach.  Ah, well.
Say, does anyone know of an "Obfuscated Tutorial Contest" out there? :-)

%
% >> It's very trivial, though somewhat less so than that good old favorite
%
% >>   print "hello, world!\n";
%
% Page 4, vs. page 17.

Well, at least it let you get a little ways in, then...

%
% >> interpreter.  Of course, it's wisest to turn on strict checking
% >> ("use strict;") and warnings ("perl -w" or, as you prefer, something like
% >> "use warnings" on which I'm unsure) and most useful to write code that
% >> actually does something, but who says every script has to pull its own
% >> weight? :-)
%
% Sure. Anything no more than a dozen lines would do fine.

I'm not sure what you mean here...  Do you mean that for short scripts
under a dozen lines leaving off strict or writing purely demo code is
fine, or something else?

HTH & HAND

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]