From: Beau E. Cox [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 2:16 PM
To: Shishir K. Singh; BeginnersPerl (E-mail)
Subject: RE: Question- Archive::zip/tar

Shishir -
        I'm using Win32 also (I have Linux on one machine
but haven't done much with it yet.) I think that the
unix 'tar' utility gives you a .tar file (uncompressed)
and then that file is passed thru a compression utility:
zip => .tar.z, gzip => .tar.gz, or something like
bzip => .tar.bz.
        Of course, the modern 'tar' program will invoke
a compression utility for you via command line switches.
Most of the unix tarballs I have seen are in the .tar.gz
format.
        I know this is like the blind leading the blind, but
I hope it helps anyway.

Aloha => Beau.