On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 07:57 , Eduardo Cancino wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm parsing a text file with this estrcuture line:
>
> 'here is a quote'. Autor (birth year - death year); occupation
> nationality.
>
> ======
>
> I need to separate from the beggining to the first dot, ignoring the dots
> in
> side the two ''.
>
> but i have tried to escape the ' (\'), but no use, what i'm missing or
> what
> should i read.

how about this:

        my $derQuote;
        #hereDoc great for nesting stuff
        my $line =<<derLine;
        'here is a quote'. Autor (birth year - death year); occupation
nationality.
        derLine
        chomp($line); #decruft der line

        ($derQuote, $derOther) = ($1, $2)  if( $line =~ /'(.*)'\.(.*)/) ;

        print "derQuote we find is:$derQuote:\n"
        print "Undt der Rest of it all:$derOther:\n:$line:\n";

The Round Braces capture what you want into the $1 and $2 - you
only need to 'guard' when looking for things like "." in your
regEx that you wish to use as delimiting elements.

cf perldoc perlre

ciao
drieux

---