On Tuesday, June 11, 2002, at 12:23 , Akens, Anthony wrote:

> The line
>      my @inputP = qx!ps -e |grep $port!;

I love this discussion but folks why not try, oh

        my @inputP =qx!ps -t $port';

Or what if we just pulled in the procTable ONCE,
oh, I don't know, maybe into a Hash...

http://www.wetware.com/drieux/pbl/Sys/psTree.txt

Or maybe why not look for the PPID chain based upon
finding all instances of a given process we are looking
for - and whether on not they are still children of
a login shell...

Since if the login shell terminated, because it was
timed out, didn't the process FooBar hang around on
its own as a child of init????

hence the question of processes that are not really
attached to the tty line - per se, but psuedo attached???
{I'll give a re-read of Aken's original posting and get back...}

{ I changed the subject line, because, well, let's be honest
the Idea of Terminating some of our more Indolent End Users
is perchance a bit too tempting....

"Lead me not into temptation,
        for surely I can find in on my own."
                - oscar wild
} until( $Reality_Sets_In);

ciao
drieux

---

ps: on the Upside - I like Craig Moynes basic quick Port!!!!