Hi, all --

I'm trying to be good and so I use "my $variable" rather than making them
global, and I prefer to not stick little [potentially-confusing] "my"
declarations around through the code so I declare my vars up front.
While some of them might usefully be pre-filled, many of them can happily
by left declared but undefined, so things like

  my $foo, $bar, $baz ;
  my ($foo, $bar, $baz) = "" ;

work nicely.  I haven't yet figured out, though, all of the rules for
arrays and hashes.  In my current script, I have

  my                                            # vars we will use
    (
    $m3u,                                               # file name
    $mp3,                                               # disk label
    $source,$host,                              # where we got it
    $artist,$disk,$track,                               # the real data :-)
    @allsources, @allhosts,                     # where we get 'em
    $fullpath,                                  # hash key
    @working,                                   # stripped copy of $fullpath
    %threez,                                    # hash that holds DB record
    ) = "" ;

  $m3u = $source = $host = "" ;                 # what can't be undef

with the second line since those vars cause problems later if they are
undefined (even though I set the vars to empty at declaration time just
above) and, more importantly, have to put the hash at the end or I get an
"odd number of elements added to hash" error.

Since the code is meant to be clear and self-documenting, I don't have to
have all of those comments on the right, and would prefer to just have a
nice, polite "my" line listing everything and being done with it.  Is
there any way to mix all of these together?

TIA & HAND

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]