Sometimes I'd like to run a perl program in a similar way as one can
run a shell script with the -x switch.  Where all commands and
actions are printed to tty as the occur.

How does one simulate that with perl? I suspect it may be the -d flag
(debug) but I have no experience at all with that.  It looks a lot
more complicated than the sh -x flag.  I could stick lots of `prints'
int there, but isn't there a way to simulate -x?