Peter, et al --

...and then Peter Scott said...
%
% At 09:33 AM 7/6/02 -0500, David T-G wrote:
% >I want to add to $ENV{'PATH'} in the parent process from my script.
% >Generally I know this isn't allowed, but I wonder if there's a way to do
% >it.
%
% No.  It's a Unix FAQ and Perl can't do it any more than any other
% language.  See 2.8 in http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/faq/part2/

Yeah.  I was hoping for a way to

  . myscript.pl bash
  source myscript.pl tcsh

or maybe

  `myscript.pl bash`
  `myscript.pl tcsh`

for that would make it work, but I haven't found anything yet.

The script spits out

  PATH=/new/info/in/path:$PATH

(in bash mode, anyway) and the like and I've tried loading *that* with
all sorts of

  eval `myscript.pl bash`

and the like but I still can't get it to work (whether I spit out a
comment or a VAR=value line, bash complains "command not found").  It
sounds like I've hit on a curious shell challenge, and I hope I don't
have to resort to

  myscript.pl bash > $HOME/.includeme.bash
  myscript.pl tcsh > $HOME/.includeme.tcsh

and

  . $HOME/.includeme.bash
  source $HOME/.includeme.tcsh

in my scripts; sure, I'd save on the time to start perl every time I
run a script, but I'd have to have a cron job to make sure that the
includeme files are kept up to date instead of spitting out the data
dynamically.

Anyway, this thread careening off-topic and I should let it die :-)

% --
% Peter Scott
% Pacific Systems Design Technologies
% http://www.perldebugged.com/