On Tuesday, July 16, 2002, at 01:13 , Paul Johnson wrote:

I think one of my unresolved concerns about the modules/libraries
we have seen this month is this idea of using them to cache
'variables' that people want to access directly, rather than
say, using them to cache 'objects'....

        my $han_form = Foo::Man::Chu->new();

        my $new_token = $han_form->convert_token($old_token);
        my @new_list = $han_form->convert_list(@old_list);

if you will laugh with me at the small joke Connie... 8-)
{ I am not sure how many know of the Tai Ping Rebellion,
which was my other model...
        my $converter = Tai::Ping->new();
}

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 06:06:29PM -0700, drieux wrote:

[..]
> It seems to me to be ultra defensive programming, and I have yet to find
> a need for it in the real world (as much as Perl inhabits the real
> world.)

my compliments for the correction on the computer-archeology,
I should have said it in the form "fad up through 5.5" in the
"<=" sense....

The whole

        BEGIN {

        }
        #
        # your code here
        #
        END {

        }

makes better sense in scripting than in modules - although
I am still twitchy about END { } - and was somewhat concerned
and/or ANNOYED at h2xs in 5.6.0 when

        a) it changed that form - which I learned from my
                grizzled master.... who beat me with a stick - and we
                had to have
                        use vars qw/..../;
                        use subs qw/..../;
                Which I liked - because I would put them in there in the
                order that they would show up in the file, so I have a
                generic idea how far in a given sub was.... or IF I was
                looking at the wrong module.... now that is merely comment
                fodder in the top block...

        b) I found out we had 'old versions' of perl floating
                around on the machines here that did not like the pragma

                        'use warnings'

                and woofed on them, so that I had to comment it out.

So while many of us have the luxury of being able to

        just upgrade to 5.N.M

others will get to 5.6 at some later date....

ciao
drieux

---