From: Wiggins d'Anconia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> <snip>
> >
> > Could you ask them if they would install (or have already installed)
> > DBI and DBD::CSV or DBD::File? You could then convert your database
> > to flat files or CSVs on your side (by a Perl script that would just
> > connect the Access via DBD::ODBC, the CSVs/Files, and would copy all
> > tables), upload the files and use them as a database.
> >
> > Even better option might be DBD::SQLite. That's a "whole" SQL
> > compatible database in Perl module. It is quicker than
> > DBD::CSV/DBD::File and the whole database is just one file, just
> > like Access.
> >

> With respect to asking them to install those various modules, if my
> understanding is correct, even if you can't get htem to install the
> modules you should be able to install them into your personal file
> space and call them from there, though there may be compilation issues
> (of the modules themselves that is), and manipulation of @INC, etc. I
> defer to the "elders" on this matter, though it worked for me when my
> hosting provider wouldn't install Email::Valid (granted this is a much
> simpler module).

Yes you could do this. I do not think though you will be able to
compile them ON the server. Therefore you need access to a computer
with the same OS and perl.

On that computer you may then compile the module:

        cd temp/the-module-x.y
        perl Makefile.PL
        make
        make test

and then copy the directories and files from ./blib/arch and
../blib/lib to the server, to a directory that's not accessible via
web.

All modules may go to the same directory. Just make sure you copy the
directory structure. The fact that ./blib/arch and ./blib/lib may
contain the same subdirectories and even .exists files is OK.

If you then need to use on of the modules you installed yourself then
add

        use lib '/path/to/the/directory/where/you/uploaded/it';

on top of your script and you should be done.

If the server is using Windows and you do not have a compiler, just
download the PPM distribution, unpack it to get the blib directory
and then continue at explained above.

The modules in the ActiveState repository may be found at
http://www.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/6xx-builds-only/?_x=1
There you can download ZIPs that contain a .ppd and a .tar.gz. You
have to extract the .tar.gz and then unpack that one.

If you need something from my repository (like the DBD::SQLite for
example) you just download the *-PPM.tar.gz from
http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz/perl/

HTH, Jenda
=========== [EMAIL PROTECTED] == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain
I can't find it.
                                        --- me