Greetings from the other side of the globe. The Breeze project which
I've been working on for over a year now for my school is about powering
excel using the Perl modules. The following two modules are very useful:

1. Takanori Kawai's Spreadsheet::ParseExcel

http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Spreadsheet-ParseExcel

This one will parse an excel spreadsheet to produce a text file which
can be manipulated.

2. John McNamara's Spreadsheet::WriteExcel

http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=Spread-WriteExcel

This module will write an excel spreadsheet.

The documentation on the two modules is excellent and so are the
examples.

If you like using excel as a database then check out Takanori Kawai's
DBD-Excel module also available from CPAN.

I am using Linux Red Hat 7.1 with Perl 5.6.1 and Gnumeric spreadsheet as
a substitute for excel. Original work was done using Perl 5.6.1 and
cygwin in Windows. You can run Perl in Windows using the ActiveState
version if that's what you prefer.

Best Wishes

Alfred Vahau
Principal Breeze Developer