No, it's an excellent question.

> what is the difference between:
>
> $| = 1;
> and
> $|++;

The first assigns the value 1 to the variable $|
The second increments (adds 1 to) the current value of $|

$| is a "special" variable to Perl. It controls the automatic flushing of
output filehandles after a print(). The default is 0, which means no
auto-flush. Setting it to 1 (or any non-zero value) enables the
auto-flushing.

Assuming these statements appeared at the top of the program, the effect
would be the same for each. I prefer the first form to the second, since it
is not dependent on what other code may or may not be doing to $| (i.e.
consider if $| were -1 prior to the increment).

>    Or can you point me in the right direction on where I can read
> boutit?

perldoc perlvar
   explains the "special" variables like $|

perldoc perlop
   explains the operators like ++

HTH