UT (Universal Time) is a valid TZ. It is the same as UTC and GMT.
So, treat it as if it is GMT when parsing. Smart mail clients don't
always use the abbreviation, and use the offset (the -0500 bit). So,
sending as UT is perfectly valid, although not always the best way to
do it. You can set the TZ manually in MIME::Lite (which you really
should do, IMO) like:

        $msg = MIME::Lite->new(
            From       => $from,
            To         => $to,
            Cc         => $cc,
            Subject    => $subject,
            Type       => 'TEXT',
            Encoding   => $transfer_encoding,
                ... more stuff if you need ...
            Date       => $date,
            Data       => $body
        );

So, if you create a valid Date string, just set it yourself. This can
also help make your software more internationalized, since you can
properly send email from a users TZ, as opposed to UT with an offset
based on your server (for example, people who use my web-based email
system may be in JST, not EST5EDT, so they want their email to reflect
this).

Cheers,
Kevin

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:52:45PM -0500, Karl Kaufman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said
something similar to:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to determine whether there's a problem with the MIME::Lite
> module.  I've sent an email to the module's author, but haven't heard back.
> Is there a "bugs" mailing list somewhere that I can post the following info
> to, in order to get verification and facilitate a fix.
>
> (It's my opinion that the "UT" timezone on line 1057 of MIME::Lite is a
> typo/error.)
>
> Thanks in advance..!
> Karl K.
>
> Details ---
>
> I noticed that timestamps on my emails generated using MIME::Lite were off
> by 5 hours, so I looked into how MIME::Lite was timestamping the messages.
> I quickly noticed what appeared to be the problem:   "UTC" is being
> truncated to just "UT" in the prepared message -- so the receiving system,
> unable to translate the unknown timezone (i.e. 'UT'), assumes local time
> instead of
> UTC/GMT -- causing the 5-hour difference (since my systems are in CDT).
>
> Here's a sample message generated by MIME::Lite..

>   Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 22:18:44 UT
>   From: Wile E. Coyote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   Subject: Mon Aug 19 17:18:44 2002
>
> Take a look at line 1057 and 3372 of the MIME::Lite code:
>
>   1057:   my $date = "$u_wdy, $u_mdy $u_mon $u_y4 $u_time UT";
>   3372: Also added automatic inclusion of a UT "Date:" at top level unless
>
> Here's my test environment specifics:
> - MIME::Lite v2.117 running under Perl 5.005_03 on Solaris 2.6
> - Lotus Notes R5 server is receiving the message, I believe.
>
> Is "UT" supposed to be considered a valid timezone?  I can definitely say
> that it's not recognized on either version of Solaris in my environment.
> Both "UTC" and "UCT" are acceptable (and identical) but not "UT."
>
> > ls -ilR /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo | egrep -i 'ut|uc'
>     100358 -rw-r--r--  11 bin      bin           56 Jul 15  1997 UCT
>     100358 -rw-r--r--  11 bin      bin           56 Jul 15  1997 UTC
>      75316 -rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin        15504 Jul 15  1997
> southamerica
>      82445 -rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin          785 Jul 15  1997 South
>     111113 -rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin          823 Jul 15  1997 Aleutian
>

> --

[Writing CGI Applications with Perl - http://perlcgi-book.com]
It would be easier to pay off the national debt overnight than to neutralize
the long-range effects of OUR NATIONAL STUPIDITY.
        -- Frank Zappa