On Tuesday, Sep 10, 2002, at 18:45 US/Eastern, Michael Fowler wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:56:59PM -0600, Jose Malacara wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to hide ,or spoof, a URL when outputting to html
>> with
>> perl? For example if I was running a script in my cgi-bin directory,
>> but
>> wanted the URL to appear differently so as to hide location of my
>> cgi-directory.
>>
>> For example, if a visitor is looking at a page located at:
>> www.mywebsite.com/cgi-bin/forms/hello.cgi, but the URL would appear as
>> www.mywebsite.com/hello.cgi  or just www.mywebsite.com. Can this be
>> done
>> perhaps by passing the browser a fake http location header or
>> something?
>
> What is the purpose of trying to "hide" the URL from a user?  However
> you
> obscure the URL the user must still be able to access the CGI script.

For me, its h4x0r paranoia.  The more a script looks like a static html
file, the better, IMHO.  Not that it will stop or even slow down an
attacker, I do it anyway whenever possible.

For Jose, it may be something as simple as him not wanting his users to
have to type so much.

Best,
GmG
--
Nothing good comes from the earth anymore.
-Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop, 2071