On Friday, Sep 20, 2002, at 05:50 US/Pacific, Cricker wrote:
[..]
> So what I was thinking of doing was something like:
>
> my ($a,$b);
>
> # main code
> ...
>
> #include "subs1.pl"
> ...
>
> where code in subs1.pl made reference to $a and $b. I realize that I
> can do
> this with globals. So that's what I'll do.
As an initial solution - I think that would work.
you may want to think about
http://perl.plover.com/FAQs/Namespaces.html
and that in the longer run having a clean API for your subs
that do not rely upon global side effects will be simpler to
maintain... I concede that there are a lot of times when one
needs to have functions that cause a global side effect - such
as signal handlers
my $run_flag = 1;
$SIG{HUP} = sub { $run_flag = 0};
while($run_flag) {
# do our main loop
}
Which I think is one of the rules that I general use about
deciding if a given function needs/can/should_be moved into
a perl module...
ciao
drieux
---
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]