Nope..this won't work. Why don't you loop over the list and do a substring or pack as
you know that you need to keep only the first 4 characters of each element?

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaun Bramley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 4:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help with regular expression

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some confirmation on my regx.

I have a list ('1992', '1993 (summer)', '1995 fall') and what I want to do
is keep only the first four characters.  Will the regx work for me?

@list =~ s/\s*//;

Again will that turn the list into (1992, 1993, 1995)?

as always thank you for your time and effort in helping me

Shaun Bramley