Shaun Bramley wrote at Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:24:00 +0200:

> I'm just looking for some confirmation on my regx.
>
> I have a list ('1992', '1993 (summer)', '1995 fall') and what I want to do
> is keep only the first four characters.  Will the regx work for me?
>
> @list =~ s/\s*//;
>
> Again will that turn the list into (1992, 1993, 1995)?

Another than using substr is really to use a regexp:

my @year = map /(\d\d\d\d)/, @list;

I would prefer it against the substr solution,
as it better express what you want to get out of the string.
(4 digits representing a year).
It has the disadvantage that it is slower than the substr solution.

Greetings,
Janek