Hate to reply to my own post here, but I'm also discussing these issues
on comp.lang.perl.modules (see I did read the CPAN docs) and some
people have asked me to post the module.  I did that, so I just wanted
to mention that it's up and welcome any and all feedback on code or
documentation, if anyone's interested in taking a look.  The
documentation is just embedded POD, so download the module and view it
in your favorite form, if you're interested.  Here's the link:

http://www.grayproductions.net/MUServer.pm

(Note:  This is served straight off my desktop box so it's only up
during the day.)

As for where I sit on the two main issues, here's a brief update.  I
plan to specialize down to more of a MUD/game server concept to
eliminate any cross-over doubts and carve out my own niche on the CPAN.

The name is still in flux, as you can see by the old name in the link,
I was pretty decided on Net::MUDServer, until I learned from the
newsgroup that the Net category is a little more restricted these days.
  Now, I'm less sure, and still hunting for the right choice.

Thanks for all your time.

James Gray