On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:37:07PM +0200, Thoenen, Peter  Mr.  EPS wrote:
> Never had any real programming classes and as I start to read more and moe
> programming books (on Camel now) keep seeing items like malloc(3),
> longjmp(3), rintf(3), etc etc.

These are references to man pages on a Unix system.  The value in the parens
indicates what section it's in (in this case, library calls).  man(1) will
show you the typical sections; on my system man(1) tells me:

       1   Executable programs or shell commands
       2   System calls (functions provided by the kernel)
       3   Library calls (functions within system libraries)
       4   Special files (usually found in /dev)
       5   File formats and conventions eg /etc/passwd
       6   Games
       7   Macro packages and conventions eg man(7), groff(7).
       8   System administration commands (usually only for root)
       9   Kernel routines [Non standard]

You may also see a string after the number, i.e. lindex(3tcl).  That means
it's in section 3, the tcl portion is just to distinguish it as belonging to
an informal subsection; in this case it's a function in Tcl (a scripting
language).

If you don't have access to a Unix or Unix-like system you can find quite a
few sites with HTML versions of various man pages for various flavors of
Unix.

This convention should have been described in the book you're reading, near
the beginning where it describes the notation and conventions.  I wouldn't
be surprised if it wasn't described in the Camel, though.

> I have this gut feeling they have something to do with c++ but thats about
> as far as I get.

The specific functions you mention (malloc, printf, and longjmp) are from
the C library.  The notation, however, extends beyond just the C library.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net
Programmer, System Administrator   www.gallanttech.com