I'm curious if there are any side effects to doing the following :

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

my $var1 = "test1";
my $var2 = "this is not test2";

{
 my $var2 = "test2";
 print "$var1 - $var2\n";
}

print "$var1 - $var2\n";

What I'm trying to do is create a temporary variable within the main
body of the program.  I don't want that variable to stick around after I
use it (which is directly after I declare it) ...

In most cases, I'll be using "unique" variable names within that local
block.  The idea is that I want to release the memory associated with
those local variables without carrying them around.  The rest of the
program definitely uses a lot more memory, but good memory management
dictates that I release it when I'm done with it.  I never need that
inner $var2 again, so why bother leaving it around?

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold