I think we may need to see your Perl code Shaunn. I've never heard of a NEL
character but that may be my ignorance; do you mean newline? How do you know
the control characters aren't being removed by what you've done?

chomp() will remove the last character from a string if it is the input
record separator character $/, normally '\n'. chop() will remove the last
character whatever it is, and so will do the job as long as you're sure the
string ends with a charatcer that you don't want.

Let us know,

Rob