Hmm. I presume you're using VMS? This is a platform-specific character set,
which is always a bit iffy in Perl. You could try setting the input record
separator to NEL by adding -0205 (those are both digit charater zeros) to
your command line. Your { chop; print; } two-liner will then work fine,
except that you may want to print '\n' after each record so that there is
something to separate them. All this really depends on what is expected by
the software that is going to read the edited file. Give it a try anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

"Shaunn Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> --thanks for the reply:
>
> --at this point, i'm still trying to figure out
> --how to find NEL.  the ASCII chart says the following:
>
> [snip]
> DEC   HEX   OCT   EDT    TPU   CHAR DESCRIPTION
>
> 10   00A   012   <LF>   L/F       CTRL-J   LF    line feed
>
> 13   00D   015   <CR>   C/R       CTRL-M   CR    carriage return

> DEC Multinational Character Set Extension of the ASCII character set
>
> DEC   HEX   OCT   EDT    TPU   CHAR DESCRIPTION
>
> 133   085   205   <NEL>   ?        NEL   next line
>
> [/snip]
>

> --i thought it was newline, too, but this seems to just say 'next line'.
> --i had imagined that control-m, control-j is what created this, but,
> --now i'm not so sure.
>
> --as i've said, i can do a sed to remove CF and LF, but i'm thinking
> --that NEL is just the end of the line and i can't remove it ... or maybe
> --i can't replace it ... *shrug* ...
>
> --i don't know how to isolate characters like this in perl, so, i
> --don't have much of a script to show you.  i was looking
> --at http://groups.google.com  and it appears someone just said:
>
> [snip]
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl -pi
>
> chop;
> print;
>
> [/snip]
>
> --but i think i'm doing that wrong (actually, i *know* i am) ....
>
> --so, that's where i am now.
>
> --any suggestions?
>
> --thanks!
>
> -X