Benjamin Jeeves wrote:
> It still add record that it found on the first pass though the while
> loop to my database what I need is some way to mark my file to the
> point that it get to so it will not find a dupluted of the some
> record as the file grows. ant ideas on how I do that.

It sounds as though you want to keep checking to see if there are
any records appended to the file? If that's the case then you need
a separate scalar variable to keep track of the place in the file
you've got to. Within your main loop, get the position with

    $filepos = tell FILEIN;

then you can process the lines with

    build_db();

wind back to where you were with

    seek FILEIN, $filepos, SEEK_SET;

process them again with

    alert();

then you can sleep and revalidate the end of file with

    sleep 50;
    seek FILEIN, 0, SEEK_CUR;

..and go back to the top of the loop.

HTH,