> I don't know of any Perl solution off the top of my head
> (check out CPAN), I instead use xPDF which includes a command
> line utility pdftotext.
>
> http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/about.html

Exactly what you need!!
Now all you have to do is figure out what command line command you'd
use to do that and execute it in your perl script.
If you use a file name then you won't need my $pdf_guts stuff.
But this is what I was talking about, something like this.
print `vpdf -f ./my.pdf -o ./my_pdf.txt`;
# or whatever command it would need, This was an example only and is totally fake!!

DMuey