Yes, I tried all that..... (thanks)

This is very odd...  turns out that when I tried to do a regular 'mv' command
under Unix, it too said "success" ($?=0)....  I found that the mount I have
my file system is non-standard Unix, so while the OS thought everything was
okay, it really wasn't.  I'm using some HP proprietary network mount.

Go figure %-/

-Jeff