Mr. Horace Franklin Jr. wrote:
When I used the script. guestbook.cgi, I received the following errors.
What is wrong with the syntax/code and what is an explicit pacakage?
The file guestbook.cgi is attached.

The syntax error is being caused by a missing double quote (or an extra double quote depending on how you look at it) on line 106.

From perldoc perldiag:

"Global symbol "%s" requires explicit package name
(F) You’ve said "use strict vars", which indicates that all vari-
ables must either be lexically scoped (using "my"), declared
beforehand using "our", or explicitly qualified to say which pack-
age the global variable is in (using "::")."

perldoc -f our
perldoc -f my
perldoc -f package

and the other various perldocs on subroutines, modules, etc. And check out the article "Coping with Scoping" which has been posted in this forum in the past or can be reached with a Google search.

http://danconia.org

Software error:
syntax error at guestbook.cgi line 109, near "h3>"
(Might be a runaway multi-line "" string starting on line 106)
Global symbol "$name" requires explicit package name at guestbook.cgi line 109.
Global symbol "$email" requires explicit package name at guestbook.cgi line 109.
Global symbol "$homepage" requires explicit package name at guestbook.cgi line 109.
Global symbol "$msg" requires explicit package name at guestbook.cgi line 109.