Does this belong in the DBI list? Sorry if the answer is yes.

*****************

Hi,

We have a problem.  We run Perl for Window NT.  We use Perl to read ASCII
Files, and write the information to a Database.

Some of these fields are longer than 32,000 characters long.   We just had
one that was 86,000 characters long.
The problem we have is that our driver is limited. It can't handle 86,000
characters.  We needed to trim the length to
32,000 because we often had ASCII characters that were bigger than the
normal size. We settled on 32,000.
But now the department wants to get the whole record.

The database can definitely hold that big of a variable. The problem is
getting there with the limits of the driver that we are using.

**  Here is a piece of the code of opening the driver.

use Win32::Registry;
my $Register = "Software\\Sparq\\CLDSN_DEV";
my $RegType, $RegValue, $RegKey, $value;
my %values;
$HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Open($Register,$hkey)|| die $!;

$hkey->GetValues(\%values);

foreach $value (keys(%values))
{
    $RegType        = $values{$value}->[1];
    $RegValue       = $values{$value}->[2];
    $RegKey         = $values{$value}->[0];
    if($RegKey eq "Name")
    {
         $Database=$RegValue;
    $FullDatabase = "dbi:ODBC:$Database";

$hkey->Close();

The program with ODBC well and has been working for over a year.   This
issue has just come up.

Is there an extension in ODBC that will be able to handle 200,000 bytes in
one shot.
Or perhaps another extension that is similar to OLDB?

The Databse is:  Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
  PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
 TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production

Thanks.