On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:12:39 +0100 "NYIMI Jose (BMB)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

No reason not.

> We have a problem.  We run Perl for Window NT.  We use Perl to read
> ASCII Files, and write the information to a Database.
>
> Some of these fields are longer than 32,000 characters long.   We just
> had
> one that was 86,000 characters long.
> The problem we have is that our driver is limited. It can't handle
> 86,000 characters.  We needed to trim the length to 32,000 because we
> often had ASCII characters that were bigger than the normal size. We
> settled on 32,000. But now the department wants to get the whole record.
>
> The database can definitely hold that big of a variable. The problem is
> getting there with the limits of the driver that we are using.

> The program with ODBC well and has been working for over a year.   This
> issue has just come up.
>
> Is there an extension in ODBC that will be able to handle 200,000 bytes
> in one shot. Or perhaps another extension that is similar to OLDB?
>
> The Databse is:  Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.5.0.0 -
> Production
>   PL/SQL Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
>  TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production

If it's an Oracle database, is there a reason you can't use
DBD::Oracle?  You should be able to insert at least that much into
LONGs and CLOBs using placeholders under DBD::Oracle.

You might still be able to do it with ODBC if you use placeholders
and bind_param( ..., DBI::SQL_LONGVARCHAR ).  Look at "Handling BLOB / LONG /
Memo Fields" in the DBI manual.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html