On Tuesday 01 April 2003 11:23, Adriano Allora wrote:

This has been an interesting thread.  Here's my take:

I like them both but I prefer Perl.  I use to say that Perl was best for
application level stuff and PHP was best for web content related stuff.
However, that kind of thinking is somewhat deprecated now since PHP has done
some evolving.

I have a friend who is into PHP very much.  Indeed, he is one of those that
*hates* Perl and *loves* PHP.  Frankly, I don't think he put the time into
Perl to really appreciate it.  OTH, I find that some people just can't stand
the way Perl has magic variables, handles regular expressions, and has
implicit handling of certain things.  I LOVE that about Perl.  It makes
coding faster imo.

There is only one thing I like better about PHP than Perl.  PHP's OOP seems
to be more like OOP.  However, for me...I don't do OOP =P  So, on the
personal level that doesn't mean much to me.

PHP can be used, now, for application level stuff.  This is one of the ways
PHP has evolved.  But one of the things I do not like about PHP is it's use
of function calls for everything.  Now, I admit, this is ridiculous because
ever other language, other than Perl, uses functions for *everything*.  This
is where Perl has spoiled me.  What am I talking about?

A regular expression in PHP looks like:
preg_match("/<(\w+)(.*?)>(.+)<\/\\1>/s", $data, $regs);

Perl:
/<(\w+)(.*?)>(.+)<\/\\1>/;  # implicit functionality

This is the thing my friend hates and the thing I love.  He blames it on his
being use to C.  I can understand that.  I have never really seen huge
resource hits using PHP vs Perl.  I can't say which one uses more resources.
I suppose it would be a neat test for someone to write a script that does the
same thing in PHP and Perl and to benchmark it.  Does PHP have a benchmarking
module yet?

Oh well....to each his own.  I neither hate or love PHP.  I feel it does have
a place out there in the cyberworld.  It has some good qualities about it.  I
just love Perl.  I *need* to learn more C.  I have to say that I really like
the windows PHP documentation (*.chm file).  When I was using Windows that
was a HUGE plus to PHP.  Is there a such thing for Perl?  I've never seen it.

PHP and Perl kick any microsoft language's butt when it comes to quality,
security, and ability.

- Jim

--

- Jim