> Is perl used to compliment PHP or is perl better to use by
> itself instead of php? How does one relate to the other. I am
> coming from a asp.NET vp.NET .asp vb background and am trying
> to get away form M$. So I am looking at apache php and perl

Apache serves the web pages whether those are html, text, perl, php, etc...

What you'll find about perl and php people is that they strongly guard 'their language'
as the best. I don't find it as bad in the perl community but the php community will
swear up and down how Bad perl is and how much better php is.

In my experience and HO Perl is much more flexible and useful and easy to expand.
PHP is a bloated little sucker that I've found an irritation to deal with on our
Servers. Any problems we've had to deal with on our server were all regarding php.
        ( Even Qmail had a breezy installation and configuration )

When a user says, "Hey can you add this to php" it's a stinking nightmare but when
someone
Says "hey I could use this modules" it takes the better part of twenty seconds to
install it.

You'll probably hear PHP people talk about how great PHP works with MySql and how
super
it is at sending Mail and generating images. That one has always confused me because
if you look at cpan there's
Tons of stuff for databases, email, and images, and about anythign else you can think
of.

So to sum it up ::
        Try both, use whichever you like.
        In my experience as a system administrator Perl has been much more useful and
easy to use, JMHI.
        Be wary of the way PHP people rip on Perl.
                ( if you have to brag about it or put others down it's not as big as
you make it out to be, no? )

I already saw a post describing what they were so I won't get into that.

Oh yeah , the .NET stuff I almost forgot. Perl has all kinds of modules. I've never
done .NET myself so I'm not sure about it ( check http://search.cpan.org ) but there
are all kinds of other web service stuff. I've used SOAP and WSDL stuff and
It works nicely with other clients/servers in other languages.

Hope that helps

DMuey