"R. Joseph Newton" wrote:

> from your original post raised a red flag for me:
> > $var =~ /.*? \(.*\) (.*?) \(.*?\)/;
> I saw it, and wondered "Well, what is he doing with it?".  The matching function
> is intended to return a true value on success, and that value is assigned to your
> blandly-named $var, yet it is never used.

No, that value is NOT assigned to $var.  The expression is in a void
context so the result of the expression is not assigned to anything.
You need to use the assignment operator '=' if you want to assign the
result of the expression to some variable.

> Try instead:
                                         ^
That semicolon is a syntax error.  It won't compile.

John
--
use Perl;
program