I apologize if I'm posting this twice. I assume that
it did not go out to the group because I did not get
any responses and the folks at [EMAIL PROTECTED] have
been extremely helpful in the past.

Can somone help me make my sample program work below?
(1) I cannot call function hello from main.pl. Why?
(2) In main, is it necessary to say $test::x? Is there
a way to say $x instead of $test::x?
(3) Why does not "starting..." ever appear?
  thanks,
          Siegfried

I have two files:
test.pm-------------------------------
package test;
require Exporter;
our @ISA = qw(Exporter);
our @EXPORT = qw($x hello);
my ($x) = ("testx");
sub hello { print "hello\n"; }
BEGIN { $Exporter::Verbose=1; print "starting...\n"; }
1;

use strict;
use warnings;
use test qw($x hello);