In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Janek Schleicher
wrote:

> Robin Garbutt wrote at Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:40:47 +0100:
>
>> I have a string that is a random sequence like the following:-
>>
>> ACGTCGTCGTCACACACACGCGTCTCTATACGCG
>>
>> I want to be able to parse the string, picking out any TATA sequences,
>> colour them in red and make a not of where ther lie in the sequence.
>>
>> Is this possible with perl?
>
> Yes, but you have to explain in what matter you want to colorize.
> As output in a terminal window, as html/xml, as a picture, as a word
> document ... .

And for those of us who want to do this as an exercise, what does "make a
note mean" - something like:

Line   : Char
Line 01: 27

or a multi-line char count (27,38,42,157...)?

And will there ever be a "CGCGTCTCTATATACG..." (overlapping) and if so,
should one list both starting points (or just non-overlapping matches)?

As far as the color, I'm just going to use ANSI terminal codes.

--
Kevin Pfeiffer
International University Bremen