Hi -

I am grinding through =Programming Perl= and came to the section on Here
Documents in Chapter 2 (forgive me, I can't think of the term "Here documents"
without thinking that there must be a dog somewhere named Documents).

Anyhoo, I tried typing some of the examples at the keyboard. They stick in my
memory better that way. I'm wondering why

print << x 10;
The camels are coming!

only seems to work if there is a blank line (e.g. a carriage return) after the
string to be printed. If I don't put that blank line in, I get the error

Can't find string terminator anywhere before EOF at ./perlcamel.pl line 3

(perlcamel.pl is what I called this).

I'm sure this is a basic question, but the book does not seem anyway to mention
a need for a blank terminating line.

Thanks,

Glenn Becker