Hi,

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am grinding through =Programming Perl= and came to the section on Here
> Documents in Chapter 2 (forgive me, I can't think of the term "Here
> documents" without thinking that there must be a dog somewhere named
> Documents).

Coming from "[EMAIL PROTECTED] ;-)

> Anyhoo, I tried typing some of the examples at the keyboard. They stick in
> my memory better that way. I'm wondering why
>
> print << x 10;
> The camels are coming!
>
> only seems to work if there is a blank line (e.g. a carriage return) after
> the string to be printed. If I don't put that blank line in, I get the
> error
>
> Can't find string terminator anywhere before EOF at ./perlcamel.pl line 3
>
> (perlcamel.pl is what I called this).
>
> I'm sure this is a basic question, but the book does not seem anyway to
> mention a need for a blank terminating line.

>From perldoc perlop:

               If the terminating identifier is on the last line
               of the program, you must be sure there is a new­
               line after it; otherwise, Perl will give the warn­
               ing Can't find string terminator "END" anywhere
               before EOF....

I'm not familiar (haven't read Programming Perl, yet) with this form of the
here-document ("self-terminating"?), but I think it's the same problem
mentioned in the citation.

-K

--
Kevin Pfeiffer